Protest leader Ammon Bundy, others arrested after shooting


LaVoy Finicum was the person killed during the arrest of occupiers of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge in Oregon, a law enforcement official said.

Finicum and several others, including protest leader Ammon Bundy, were arrested in a traffic stop Tuesday.

The official said when two vehicles were stopped, everyone obeyed orders to surrender except for two: Finicum and Ryan Bundy.

Shots were fired, but it’s not known who fired first, the official said. Ryan Bundy was injured.

One person was killed Tuesday as authorities arrested a group of people — including Ammon Bundy — involved with the armed occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, authorities said.

The person killed, who has not been identified, was the subject of a federal probable cause arrest, the FBI and Oregon State Police said.

Those arrested include Bundy, who has led the armed occupation near Burns for 25 days; his brother, Ryan Bundy; and Brian Cavalier, Shawna Cox and Ryan Waylen Payne, authorities said.

Authorities said shots were fired during the arrest, along Highway 395. They did not say who fired first.

One of those arrested suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was taken to a hospital, the FBI and state police said. A law enforcement official told CNN Ryan Bundy sustained minor injuries.

Separately, a sixth person — Joseph Donald O’Shaughnessy — was arrested in Burns, authorities said.

All six arrested face a federal felony charge of conspiracy to impede officers of the United States from discharging their official duties through the use of force, intimidation or threats, authorities said.

The group of protesters has occupied the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge since January 2 to protest federal land policies.

Ammon Bundy, son of controversial Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, and others started out protesting the sentencing of Dwight Hammond and his son Steven, ranchers convicted of arson on federal lands in Oregon.

But a march supporting the Hammonds led to the armed occupation of the refuge, with occupiers decrying what they call government overreach when it comes to federal lands.

Last week, Oregon’s governor said that she’d had enough of the protest at the refuge in Harney County, in the southeastern corner of her state.

“The residents of Harney County have been overlooked and underserved by federal officials’ response thus far,” Gov. Kate Brown said during a news conference. “This spectacle of lawlessness must end. And until Harney County is free of it I will not stop insisting that federal officials enforce the law.”

Abe Vigoda dies at 94


Notable character actor Abe Vigoda has died at age 94, multiple news outlets report.

Vigota was known for his roles in “The Godfather” and the 1970s TV series “Barney Miller.”

Vigoda’s daughter, Carol Vigoda Fuchs, told The Associated Pressthat Vigoda died Tuesday morning in his sleep at Fuchs’ home in Woodland Park, New Jersey. The cause of death was old age.

Vigoda was 50 and a star of the stage when he got his Hollywood break as Tessio in “Godfather,” The New York Times reported.

“I’m really not a Mafia person,” Vigoda, who was of Russian-Jewish descent, told Vanity Fair magazine in 2009. “I’m an actor who spent his life in the theater. But Francis (Coppola) said, ‘I want to look at the Mafia not as thugs and gangsters but like royalty in Rome.’ And he saw something in me that fit Tessio as one would look at the classics in Rome.”

According to the New York Times, People magazine erroneously reported that he died in 1982. He responded by placing an ad in Variety with him sitting in a coffin and holding a copy of the magazine.

David Letterman and Conan O’Brien invited him onto their late-night shows to prove he was still alive, the Times reported. A website, abevigoda.com, continued to give updates on his status.

FROM THE STUPID ASS SHIT FILE…….

Dallas dad not guilty for taking teen daughter’s phone


A Dallas County jury found a father accused of theft for taking away his daughter’s cellphone as punishment not guilty on Tuesday.

Ronald Jackson, 36, was charged with theft of property of at least $50 but under $500, a Class B misdemeanor.

Dallas County criminal court Judge Lisa Green ordered the jury to find Jackson not guilty after ruling the state failed to present sufficient evidence to continue the case.

Jackson said he took his 12-year-old daughter’s cellphone as punishment after finding inappropriate texts in September 2013.

A few hours later, officers from Grand Prairie police showed up at his front door, asking for the iPhone4 back.

“At that point, I decided the police don’t interfere with my ability to parent my daughter,” Jackson said.

Michelle Steppe, the child’s mother, sees it differently.

“As a mom, I’m upset because — number one — the property belongs to me,” she said.

Steppe told jurors on Monday she called police the day her daughter lost the use of her phone for disciplinary reasons.

“You can’t take someone’s property, regardless if you’re a parent or not,” Steppe said.

Ronald Jackson and Michelle Steppe readily admit they are not a couple anymore.  Jackson said they were never married, but had a child together.  Steppe said Jackson didn’t become a part of his daughter’s life until she was seven.

Three months after the phone incident, Jackson received a citation in the mail for theft of property less than $50 in value, a Class C misdemeanor.

According to court documents, the city attorney’s office offered a plea deal in January 2014 if Jackson returned the phone

Jackson hired an attorney and requested a jury trial in municipal court.

Court filings indicate the city attorney’s office requested the case be dismissed that same month, and refiled with the Dallas County District Attorney’s office as a more stringent Class B misdemeanor, punishable by six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

Cameron Gray, a defense attorney representing Jackson, said a warrant was issued, and that his client was arrested at his home in the middle of the night in April 2015.

Jackson posted a cash bail of $1500 to get out of jail.

During the two day trial Jackson’s daughter, now 15, took the stand and testified about her father taking her phone.

“It was the last thing as a mother I wanted my daughter to go through,” Steppe says.  “I’m always here for my kids.”

Steppe said she was confused by the verdict because she purchased the phone and maintained cell phone plans under her name.

“Even if you purchase something with your own money and have a receipt, it’s not yours,” Steppe says.  “Someone can take it from you.”

Jackson says the ordeal has permanently ended any chances to have a relationship with his daughter.

“I have to separate myself from them,” Jackson says.  “I can’t ever have a relationship with them again.”

Gray says the case is not over.  He says he plans to file a federal complaint for civil rights violations for the way his client was treated by the Grand Prairie Police Department and the city attorney’s office.