By Marty Carlson


Don Catchen, owner of Hillsdale Chapel crematory in Cincinnati Ohio, said that a “freak accident” started an unscheduled fire at the facility.

His operator was in the process cremating a body that was extremely obese, and he got a little hotter than it was supposed to. One of the containers used for the cremation caught on fire due to the extreme heat.

Cincinnati fire chief, Michael Washington, said the fire started with a business as usual cremation, when the fat in the body burned at a higher temperature than usual. The two hot flames spread to a near-by container and parts of the surrounding room.

In addition, there were some combustible storage boxes that were too close to the ovens.

It took the responders about two hours to douse the flames that appears the structure is intact and there was no serious damage.

The owner stated the container that was being used was the only thing that was burnt, in addition crematoriums are highly fireproof so no other parts of the building was damaged.

In October 2014, a Virginia facility caught fire while cremating a 500-pound body. Investigators said there was an excessive heat that ignited rubber roofing near the smokestack, and another fired two years earlier in Austria, left firefighters covered with a layer of sooty grease.

The danger of fires when cremating obese bodies is an entirely unknown issue for the funeral service profession, when a morbidly obese person is cremated, there’s a danger of what can only be called, (in layman’s terms), a grease fire according to a license professional who runs a blog on the funeral home industry.

Anybody know someone that could be a candidate for this to happen? I certainly do, but I dare somebody to name names.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.