CNN SENDS TRUMP CEASE AND DESIST ORDER OVER AD

CNN SENDS TRUMP CEASE AND DESIST ORDER OVER AD

A lawyer for CNN’s parent company WarnerMedia has written a cease-and-desist letter to President Trump’s re-election campaign.

WarnerMedia says the Trump ad is misusing CNN news coverage in a way that’s “false, misleading and deceptive.”

The Trump campaign had no immediate response to a request for comment from CNN Business.

The ad, titled “American Comeback,” was introduced on Sunday night.

The campaign says it is spending “mid-seven figures,” at least several million dollars, to run the ad on cable and broadcast channels.

SEE AD HERE:

The ad takes a segment from CNN’s “The Situation Room” out of context. On March 30, anchor Wolf Blitzer asked Dr. Sanjay Gupta, “Well, is it accurate that if these steps had not been put in place, the stay at home orders, the social distancing orders, as the President said yesterday, it could have been 2 million people down here in the United States?”

Gupta responded, “I mean, you know, these are all models, Wolf. It’s a little tough to say, but, you know, if you talk about something that is spreading, you know, very robustly throughout a community.

You know, two to three times more contagious than flu, and up to 10 times, perhaps even more than that, more deadly than flu, then yes.”

Blitzer’s question was about “stay at home orders” and social distancing, but in the campaign ad, that portion of his question was omitted.

After Blitzer and Gupta are shown on screen, the ad cuts to taped video that invokes Trump’s restrictions on travel from China, like an airport screen showing cancelled flights.

Blitzer is heard asking, “Is it accurate that if these steps had not been put in place … it could’ve been 2 million people dead here in the United States?” And Gupta is heard saying, “yes.”

CNN SENDS TRUMP CEASE AND DESIST ORDER OVER AD

Rick D. McMurtry, associate general counsel for WarnerMedia, wrote in a letter to Tim Murtaugh, the Trump campaign’s communications director.

That “the advertisement purposely and deceptively edits the clip to imply that Mr. Blitzer and Dr. Gupta were crediting the President’s travel ban policy issued in January for saving millions of American lives.

When in fact Mr. Blitzer and Dr. Gupta were discussing recently implemented social distancing guidelines and stay-at-home orders issued by state and local governments.”

“CNN hereby demands that you discontinue airing the advertisement with the CNN clip that has been distorted in such a way as to mislead the public,” McMurtry wrote.

The news organization learned about the ad last Friday when it was submitted as part of a Trump campaign ad buy. Television networks routinely review ads ahead of time for objectionable content.

According to McMurtry’s letter, CNN contacted the Trump campaign’s ad agency, Harris Sikes Media, to demand the ad “be edited to remove or correct the misuse.”

“CNN was willing to accept the advertisement if the misuse had been corrected.

Despite this notice, you refused to correct the advertisement and knowingly proceeded with distributing the advertisement as is with the misleading claim,” McMurtry wrote.

Trump’s ad makers have repeatedly used CNN footage over the years, despite the President’s frequent broadsides against the network.

Separately, the Trump campaign is suing a TV station in Wisconsin for airing a commercial from Democratic super PAC Priorities USA that, it says, uses clips of President Trump speaking in a way that is misleading.

The station, WJFW, has not commented on the lawsuit, but the station’s owner has retained a high-profile law firm as representation.

Numerous other station owners and media advocacy groups have expressed support for the station.


HELP SUPPORT DAWGS BLOG

DONATIONS ACCEPTED IN LIEU OF ADVERTISEMENTS THROUGH PAYPAL

$5.00

3 Comments

  1. If they can’t fake it they make it a center piece of “BREAKING News” with their comments to follow. BS!

  2. The entire add is misleading. Govoner Coumo and Newsom applauding that Dumba** Trump? Ahaha…Ya Right!
    Didn’t Trump just threaten to sue his campaign manager for his falling poll ratings? Those bleach guzzlers won’t know ethe difference anyway. Let it air…..

    1. Author

      Actually Both Newsom and Cuomo did say a lot of nice things about Trump when they wanted something, The when he did they changed their tune to appease their voters.
      Think back when the dam broke First thing California did was to beg for Federal money and very nicely. Then when Trump viewed the fire areas Newsom had a lot of praise for Trumps support to make things better.
      Trump is a lot of things but these governors did say a lot of praise when they were begging, after all they are politicians.
      And if the shoe was on the other foot those guys would have used that same type ad against Trump.
      Thank you for your input please tell me more I seriously do like to hear other opinions.
      BTW it is OK to use the term Dumbass on this site this is not Facebook, people are actually allowed to have an opinion.

watcha gotta say?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.