CENTRAL CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
Bubblegum Alley San Luis Obispo
One of the strangest, yet most popular landmark attractions in San Luis Obispo is Bubblegum Alley.
This anomaly is set in the heart of Downtown San Luis Obispo.
Yet there it stands, a hidden gem tucked away in a small alley right off Higuera Street, between Broad and Garden Street.
This narrow, 70-foot-long alleyway invites visitors to partake in an unusual rite of passage: creating chewed bubblegum graffiti.
For the squeamish, the germophobic, and anyone haunted by the memory of finding gum under their middle school desk, consider yourselves fairly warned.
Although it is unknown how much bacteria has accrued on the 15-foot-high walls of multicolored gum, Bubblegum Alley is a must-see in SLO.
Although the origin story of Bubblegum Alley is a little “sticky,” this landmark attraction became well established by the early 1970s and has survived two full cleanings.
Bubblegum Alley in SLO is not the only one on the West Coast; there has been an ongoing rivalry with another gum alley in Seattle.
Since there is no stopping its organic growth, you may as well participate in this movement.
Take a selfie in front of the gum to document your contribution to the wall. But don’t get too close, or you may make the unfortunate mistake of swiping your cheek along the wall, letting it leave its mark on you!
After visiting this attraction, check out some of the nearby shops and restaurants on that block. No matter what you do, we know the memories you make in San Luis Obispo will be sure to stick.
Things to do Around Bubblegum Alley
- Grab a pizza and a pint at Blast 825 Taproom
- Pick up an ice cream sandwich at Batch, just around the corner
- Shop for clothes, accessories and more at local boutiques like Ambiance and Len Collective
- Sit down for a nice meal at NOVO or SLO Brew across the street
Bubblegum Alley in the News
- Los Angeles Times | Inside the Great Gum Wall Standoff Between Seattle and San Luis Obispo
- Lonely Planet | San Luis Obispo: The Perfect Pitstop on your California Road Trip
- Sweet | 48 Hours in San Luis Obispo, Sweet-Style
- Atlas Obscura | San Luis Obispo’s Bubblegum Alley
- Hidden California | Bubblegum Alley
- The Mercury News | California’s Own Gum Wall, Bubblegum Alley in San Luis Obispo
- Mental Floss | The Sticky History of Bubblegum Alley
733 Higuera Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
DAWG SAYS: FROM A PERSONAL PERSPECTIVE THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL AREA AND LOTS OF THINGS TO DO.
BUT I MUST ADMIT I NEVER HEARD OF BUBBLE GUN ALLEY BEFORE.