DEMOCRATS PLAN IF TRUMP IS RE-ELECTED

DEMOCRATS PLAN IF TRUMP IS RE-ELECTED

Pelosi raises prospect of 25th Amendment talks, mulls Trump’s fitness to serve

DEMOCRATS PLAN IF TRUMP IS RE-ELECTED NEXT MONTH

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is questioning President Donald Trump’s fitness to serve, announcing legislation Thursday that would create a commission to allow Congress to intervene under the 25th Amendment to the Constitution and remove the president from executive duties.

Just weeks before the Nov. 3 election, Pelosi said Trump needs to disclose more about his health after his COVID-19 diagnosis. She noted of Trump’s “strange tweet” halting talks on a new coronavirus aid package — he subsequently tried to reverse course — and said Americans need to know when, exactly, he first contracted COVID as others in the White House became infected. On Friday, she planned to roll out the legislation that would launch the commission for review.

“The public needs to know the health condition of the president,” Pelosi said, invoking the 25th Amendment, which allows a president’s Cabinet or Congress to intervene when a president is unable to conduct the duties of the office.

Trump responded swiftly via Twitter.

“Crazy Nancy is the one who should be under observation. They don’t call her Crazy for nothing!” the president said.

The president’s opponents have discussed invoking the 25th Amendment for some time, but are raising it now, so close to Election Day, as the campaigns are fast turning into a referendum on Trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

More than 210,000 Americans have died and millions more infected by the virus that shows no signs of abating heading into what public health experts warn will be a difficult flu season and winter.

DAWG SAYS: IT JUST GETS UGLIER AND UGLIER



PLOT DISCOVERED TO KIDNAP MICHIGAN GOVERNOR

PLOT DISCOVERED TO KIDNAP MICHIGAN GOVERNOR

Feds charge six men accused in plot to kidnap Michigan governor

PLOT DISCOVERED TO KIDNAP MICHIGAN GOVERNOR

Six men were charged Thursday in an alleged plot to kidnap Michigan Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, according to a federal criminal complaint.

The alleged plot included plans to overthrow several state governments that the suspects “believe are violating the US Constitution,” including the government of Michigan and Whitmer, according to the complaint.

The FBI became aware of the scheme, first reported by The Detroit News, in early 2020 through a social media group of individuals, according to the criminal complaint.

The arrests are likely to draw additional attention to the political tensions roiling the nation in the closing weeks of the 2020 election season, and underline warnings from law enforcement officials, members of Congress and groups that track extremism about the increasing threat of militia and far-right groups. Whitmer at times has been the focus of extreme vitriol from far-right groups over her handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

The six individuals charged in the Western District of Michigan with conspiracy to kidnap are Michigan residents Adam Fox, Ty Garbin, Kaleb Franks, Daniel Harris, Brandon Caserta, and Delaware resident Barry Croft.

“When I put my hand on the Bible and took the oath of office 22 months ago, I knew this job would be hard. But I’ll be honest, I never could’ve imagined anything like this,” Whitmer said in televised remarks Thursday afternoon. “I want to start by saying thank you to our law enforcement. Thank you to the fearless FBI agents. And thank you to the brave Michigan state troopers who participated in this operation.”

OF COURSE THE GOVERNOR BLAMED TRUMP

Whitmer specifically blamed President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly declined to condemn far-right groups.

“Just last week, the President of the United States stood before the American people and refused to condemn white supremacists and hate groups like these two Michigan militia groups,” she said. “‘Stand back and stand by,’ he told them. ‘Stand back and stand by.’ Hate groups heard the President’s words not as a rebuke, but as a rallying cry, as a call to action. When our leaders speak, their words matter. They carry weight.”


TEXAS COURT STOPS MAIL IN BALLOTS

TEXAS COURT STOPS MAIL IN BALLOTS

Texas high court blocks Houston plan to offer mail ballots

The Texas Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that 2 million Houston voters cannot receive unsolicited mail ballot applications from local elections officials who are dramatically expanding ways to vote in November in the nation’s third-largest county, a key battleground in Texas.

The decision by the all-Republican court is the latest defeat in a string of losses for Democrats whose efforts to change Texas voting laws during the coronavirus pandemic have largely failed.

Polls show unusually tight races this year in America’s biggest red state, intensifying battles over voting access. Texas is one of just five states not allowing widespread mail-in voting this year. Republican Gov. Greg Abbott has resisted calls to expand eligibility and courts have sided with GOP leaders who say fear of catching COVID-19 doesn’t qualify voters for mail-in ballots.

TEXAS COURT STOPS MAIL IN BALLOTS FOR NOW

Abbott also continues facing lawsuits, including one filed Wednesday by the Texas NAACP, over his decision last week that barred Texas’ 254 counties from operating more than one drop-off box for absentee ballots, which forced the closure of dozens of drop-off sites in Harris County and other Democratic-led counties.

Mail voting in Texas is generally limited to voters who are 65 years old or older, or who have a disability.

JUSTICES SIDESTEPPED PANDEMIC ISSUES

In the ruling, the justices sidestepped the issue of whether mail-in voting was safer in the pandemic, ruling instead that current Texas law wouldn’t allow Harris County to send mass ballot applications.

“The question before us is not whether voting by mail is good policy or not, but what policy the Legislature has enacted. It is purely a question of law,” the court wrote in its ruling.

Democrats, who believe this year’s election is their biggest opportunity in Texas in decades, slammed the decision. “Once again, the all-Republican Texas Supreme Court steps into this election against the interests of voters and a functioning democracy,” said Gilberto Hinojosa, chairman of the Texas Democratic Party.

The case is among several significant battles over voting in Texas that are still playing out in courts with four weeks until Nov. 3. An appeals court reversed a federal judge’s decision to reinstate straight-ticket voting in Texas, which Democrats had sought over concerns of voters waiting in long lines on Election Day during the pandemic, particularly in large counties that have longer ballots.

Abbott had also faced a lawsuit from within his own party over his decision to extend early voting by six days, part of an extraordinary backlash the governor has faced from the right wing of the GOP over his handling of the pandemic. In a separate order Wednesday, the Texas Supreme Court rejected that effort to scale back early voting, saying the challenge came too close to the election.

The weekslong battle over whether mail-in ballot applications can be proactively sent to every registered voter in Texas’ most populous county has not appeared to dampen interest in the option.

200,00 VOTERS HAD REQUESTED BALLOTS

More than 200,000 voters around Houston have already requested a mail-in ballot, roughly double the number in a typical presidential election year, said Susan Hays, an attorney for Harris County.

Houston is a stronghold for Democrats, but the surrounding county still includes GOP-held seats that are helping keep Republicans in power in Texas. Democrats are most energized by their chances of winning a majority in the Texas House for the first time in 20 years, needing to flip just nine seats to take over the chamber.

Harris County officials are implementing a $27 million plan to expand voting access by tripling the number of early voting centers — including seven that will be open 24 hours for an entire day — and adding more polling locations on Election Day. Like other cities with NBA teams, the Houston Rockets’ home arena, the Toyota Center, will also be used as a polling location.



 

TRUMP REFUSES NEXT DEBATE CONDITIONS

TRUMP REFUSES NEXT DEBATE CONDITIONS

Trump says he won’t participate in next debate after commission announces it will be virtual

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump said Thursday that he will not participate in the second presidential debate with Joe Biden after the Commission on Presidential Debates said the event will be held virtually in the wake of the President’s positive coronavirus diagnosis.

“I am not going to do a virtual debate,” Trump said on Fox Business. “I am not going to waste my time on a virtual debate.”

TRUMP REFUSES NEXT DEBATE CONDITIONS OF VIRTUAL

Trump’s comment throws into question the second debate after the commission took the significant steep to wholly remake the contest between the two candidates. The move was seen as needed by members of the debate commission given the uncertainty around the President’s health.

“The second presidential debate will take the form of a town meeting, in which the candidates would participate from separate remote locations,” the commission said in a statement. “The town meeting participants and the moderator, Steve Scully, Senior Executive Producer & Political Editor, C-SPAN Networks, will be located at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County in Miami, Florida. The White House Pool will provide coverage of the second presidential debate.”

The announcement from the commission came hours after Vice President Mike Pence and Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris debated in person on Wednesday night, albeit separated by plexiglass.

DAWG SAYS: IT JUST GETS MORE AND MORE STRANGE.


WHY BEN SHAPIRO IS LEAVING CALIFORNIA

WHY BEN SHAPIRO IS LEAVING CALIFORNIA

Ben Shapiro: I’m leaving California – here’s why

My family and my company are leaving California.

It’s heartbreaking.

My parents moved to California four decades ago. I grew up here. For 33 of the 36 years I’ve spent on this planet, I’ve lived here.

I was born at St. Joseph’s in Burbank; I attended elementary school at Edison Elementary; I went to college at UCLA.

I co-founded a major media company here, with 75 employees in Los Angeles. I met my wife here; all three of my kids are native Californians.

This is the most beautiful state in the country. The climate is incredible. The scenery is amazing. The people are generally warm and there’s an enormous amount to do.

And we’re leaving.

We’re leaving because all the benefits of California have steadily eroded — and then suddenly collapsed.

Meanwhile, all the costs of California have steadily increased — and then suddenly skyrocketed.

It can be difficult to spot the incremental encroachment of a terrible disease, but once the final ravages set in, it becomes obvious that the illness is fatal.

HIS FAMILIES SAFETY

I want my kids to grow up safe. I want them to grow up in a community with a future, with more freedom and safety than I grew up with. California makes that impossible.

So, too, with California, where bad governance has turned a would-be paradise into a burgeoning dystopia.

When my family moved to North Hollywood, I was 11. We lived in a safe, clean suburb. Yes, Los Angeles had serious crime and homelessness problems, but those were problems relegated to pockets of the city — problems that, with good governance, we thought could eventually be healed. Instead, the government allowed those problems to metastasize.

HOMELESS OUT OF CONTROL

As of 2011, Los Angeles County counted less than 40,000 homeless; as of 2020, that number had skyrocketed to 66,000. Suburban areas have become the sites of homeless encampments.

Nearly every city underpass hosts a tent city; the city, in its kindness, has put out port-a-potties to reduce the possibility of COVID-19 spread.

Police are forbidden in most cases from either moving transients or even moving their garbage. Nearly every public space in Los Angeles has become a repository for open waste, needles and trash.

The most beautiful areas of Los Angeles, from Santa Monica beach to my suburb, have become wrecks.

INDECENT BEHAVIOURS ARE TOLERATED

My children have personally witnessed drug use, public urination and public nudity.

Looters were allowed free reign in the middle of the city during the Black Lives Matter riots; Rodeo Drive was closed at 1 p.m., and citizens were curfewed at 6 p.m.

MASS RELEASE OF INMATES

To combat these trends, local and state governments have gamed the statistics, reclassifying offenses and letting prisoners go free.

Meanwhile, the police have become targets for public ire. In July, the city of Los Angeles slashed police funding, cutting the force to its lowest levels in over a decade.

TAXES

At the same time, taxes have risen. California’s top marginal income tax rate is now 13.3%; legislators want to raise it to 16.8%. California is also home to a 7.25% sales tax, a 50-cent gas tax and a bevy of other taxes that drain the wallet and burden business.

California has the worst regulatory climate in America, according to CEO magazine’s survey of 650 CEOs. The public-sector unions essentially make public policy, running up the debt while providing fewer and fewer actual services.

EDUCATION SYSTEM

California’s public education system is a massive failure, and even its once-great colleges are now burdened by the stupidities of political correctness, including an unwillingness to use standardized testing.

And still, the state legislature is dominated by Democrats. California is not on a trajectory toward recovery; it is on a trajectory toward oblivion.

Taxpayers are moving out — now including my family and my company. In 2019, before the pandemic and the widespread rioting and looting, outmigration jumped 38%, rising for the seventh straight year. That number will increase again this year.

I want my kids to grow up safe. I want them to grow up in a community with a future, with more freedom and safety than I grew up with. California makes that impossible.

So, goodbye, Golden State. Thanks for the memories.

DAWG SAYS: LIKE MYSELF AND MANY OTHERS CALIFORNIA HAS NOTHING TO OFFER THAN MAYBE A SHORT VISIT IN THE OFF-FIRE SEASON.


DIPSHIDIOT OF THE DAY DC JUDGE

DIPSHIDIOT OF THE DAY DC JUDGE TRUMAN MORRISON

Former Judge Truman A. Morrison III

D.C. Superior Court judge stepped down after questions about sexual assault allegation

DIPSHIDIOT OF THE DAY DC JUDGE TRUMAN MORRISON

A prominent D.C. Superior Court judge acclaimed as a criminal justice reformer during his 40 years on the bench retired earlier this year, days after receiving questions from The Washington Post about an allegation that he sexually assaulted a 16-year-old girl when he was in his early 30s.

Judge Truman A. Morrison III admitted “sexual touching” of the teenager that was “totally inappropriate” and “wrongheaded” but said: “I certainly did not think that I ever forced myself on her.”

A seven-part Post investigative podcast launched Thursday chronicles how the allegation came to light. The catalyst was the publication of a Post story in January 2019 that focused on a young woman’s quest for justice after she was sexually assaulted by a stranger while jogging in her Northwest Washington neighborhood. The man — a local chef — later admitted to attacking her and five other women. Morrison sentenced him to 10 days in jail, served in two-day weekend stints.

Weeks after that story was published, a woman in Birmingham, Ala., wrote to a Post reporter that she had sensitive information pertinent to the previously published article. Eventually, the woman, Carole Griffin, put her account on the record.

“Canary: The Washington Post Investigates,” is a podcast that follows the intertwining stories of two women who came together after one of them publicly shared her story of sexual assault. The Post’s first long-form investigative podcast chronicles what it takes for survivors to step forward.

HE STEPPED DOWN IMMEDIATELY

Morrison, 76, stepped down from his senior status role at D.C. Superior Court in March, three days after receiving The Post’s inquiry about the allegations against him. At the time, he was the court’s second-longest-serving judge.

The court’s chief judge, Robert E. Morin, declined to comment through a spokeswoman. Both the court and the D.C. Commission on Judicial Disabilities and Tenure declined to provide Morrison’s retirement letter.

DAWG SAYS: THIS GUY WILL JUST SLIP INO A COMFORTABLE RETIREMENT HE WAS PROBABLY ALREADY PLANNING.