New York Gov Cuomo’s top aide admits they HID data on COVID deaths in nursing homes amid fears that stats would be used against them in DOJ investigation as it’s revealed 9K hospital patients were sent to nursing facilities – 40% higher than released
- Melissa DeRosa admitted they had hidden the COVID numbers in a Thursday call obtained by New York Post
- State Democrats in August had asked for the exact figures for nursing home deaths from COVID since March 1
- DeRosa, 38, secretary to the governor, said that at the same time the Trump administration was investigating
- Trump ‘directs the Department of Justice to do an investigation into us,’ she said on Thursday in the call
- ‘And basically, we froze’ and kept the information secret for five more months, she admitted to the lawmakers
- It emerged last month the overall number of COVID deaths among long-term care residents is nearly 15,000 – up from the 8,500 previously disclosed
- It emerged on Thursday that more than 9,000 recovering COVID patients were sent back into nursing homes – 40 per cent more than Cuomo previously said
CUOMO’S AIDE SPEAKS OUT
Andrew Cuomo‘s top aide has admitted that their administration ‘froze’ in August when asked for data detailing COVID-19 deaths among nursing home patients, and then hid the information amid fears that it would be used against them in an investigation by the Trump administration’s Department of Justice .
In a remarkable confession made during a conference call with New York state Democrats, obtained by The New York Post, Melissa DeRosa asked for understanding from their critics.
She told lawmakers: ‘We were in a position where we weren’t sure if what we were going to give to the Department of Justice, or what we give to you guys, what we start saying, was going to be used against us while we weren’t sure if there was going to be an investigation.’
Her shocking revelations came shortly before the Associated Press published new detail into how many patients recovering from COVID were sent back into nursing homes. They found more than 9,000 readmittances – a figure 40 per cent higher than official data.
In January, the AP reported that the death toll from COVID among nursing home patients was 15,000 – an increase almost 50 per cent higher than the official statistics.
Cuomo’s handling of nursing homes during the pandemic is under intense scrutiny.