A teen was hospitalized after eating bad takeout, and needed both legs and all his fingers amputated

  • A Massachusetts college student was hospitalized after eating bad Chinese takeout.
  • The 19-year-old experienced vomiting, fever, and shortness of breath before his admission.
  • He eventually needed both legs and ten fingers amputated due to a rare complication of sepsis.

A 19-year-old who was admitted to the hospital with what initially looked like food poisoning eventually needed both legs and all of his fingers amputated, according to a report by The New England Journal of Medicine.

The patient, a Massachusetts college student, had eaten leftover rice, chicken, and lo mein the day before his admission. Shortly after eating, he and a friend who had the same meal both vomited.

While his friend recovered after throwing up once, the patient continued to experience vomiting and stomach pain, as well as progressively worsening muscle pain, weakness, and chills. His symptoms escalated to include chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, neck stiffness, blurry vision, and skin discoloration.

The student was admitted to the hospital about 20 hours after his initial bout of vomiting. At that point, he had a fever of over 105 F and an unusually high heart rate, Newsweek reported. His skin discoloration quickly transformed into a splotchy, purplish rash that covered almost his entire body.


DONATE

NO ADVERTISING ON DAWGS BLOG- PAID FOR BY DONATIONS

$10.00