• CNN accidentally sent welcome baskets to employees who were laid off after CNN+ shut down.
  • CNN+, a paid subscription service, launched in late March and shut down weeks later.
  • The shuttered streaming service left hundreds of employees out of jobs, the Wall Street Journal reported.


CNN accidentally sent welcome baskets to employees who were laid off after the CNN+ streaming service shuttered.

The paid streaming subscription service launched on March 29 and announced it was shutting down on April 21, Insider previously reported.

A week later, hundreds of laid-off staffers received welcome gifts, some of which had encouraging notes attached, according to the Wall Street Journal.

“This is an incredible time to be part of CNN,” one note said, per WSJ. “Build relationships and take time to connect with colleagues and learn so that you make the most of your time here.”

CNN told WSJ the baskets – which included branded gear, pens, headphones, and a popcorn maker – were sent by mistake.

CNN spent as much as $250 million on the launch and saw meager audience engagement out of the gate, never surpassing 10,000 viewers at any given time, per CNBC.


DONATE

NO ADVERTISING ON DAWGS BLOG- PAID FOR BY DONATIONS

$10.00